Study in Canada

Great Canadian Gateway Student Permit Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Want to study in Canada? You are not alone! Did you know that in 2012, more than 100,000 international students were welcomed in Canada? This is because of its multiculturalism and  high level of education Canadian schools offer at a very affordable price.

Canada’s education reputation is based on quality and recognized for excellence across the entire education sector. Canadian credentials are valued around the world.

  • Elementary and secondary (K-12) students in Canada are consistently ranked among the world’s top five academic performers in reading, mathematics and science in the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Programme for International Student Assessment. International students benefit from supportive environments with a focus on student-centred learning.
  • Canada’s ugreat Canadian Gateway Student Permit Visa Citizenship and Immigration Canada Best Colleges niversities are among the best in the world. In 2012, 4 Canadian universities ranked in the Top 100 of the ARWU Shanghai Ranking and 22 in the Top 500; 3 ranked in the Top 50 of the QS University Ranking and 20 in the Top 500; and 5 ranked in the Top 100 of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings and 8 in the Top 200.
  • Canada’s colleges, polytechnics and cégeps offer industry-aligned, career-focused programs with growing levels of applied research directed at solving industry problems. Over 90% of Canada’s college graduates are employed in their field of study within six months after graduation and 93% of employers are satisfied with graduates.
  • Language schools in Canada are leaders in language training at all levels, providing a wide variety of programs in English and French for further study, personal development or business preparation.

Study Permit Requirements

To study in Canada, you may need a study permit and a temporary-resident visa, though not everyone must have these documents. The country of your citizenship or where you reside will decide whether a temporary-resident visa is necessary.

Study permits are not needed if:

  • the duration of program or study course is 6 months or less;
  • the parents of minors have legal status in Canada (except for visitors visa); or
  • they are family or staff of foreign representative.

Before you can apply for a study permit to study in Canada, you must:

  • have been accepted at a recognized school, university or college in Canada;
  • prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
    • tuition fees;
    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada;
    • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada;
  • not have a criminal record and be ready to provide a police certificate;
  • be in good health and be ready to complete a medical examination;
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

Students and Work Permits

You can work on-campus if you are a full-time student with a valid study permit. No application necessary.

For off-campus work permits, application must be made. You must be a full-time student at participating institutions. This work permit authorizes work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and authorizes full-time work during scheduled breaks.

Post graduation work permits can also be availed after graduating with a certificate, degree, or diploma. The duration of this work permit reflects the amount of time spent studying in Canada. A lot of students take advantage of this special work permit because it can allow for an avenue to permanent residency.

A huge advantage of this program is that your spouse or common-law partner may apply for an open work permit if you are a full-time student with a valid student permit.

***Changes to this program will occur in June 2014

Studying in Quebec

Students wishing to study in the province of Quebec must receive approval from the Government of Quebec and must renew their status every year.

***For more information, please contact us through email, phone, or Great Canadian Gateway’s  online messaging system.

Learn more about Great Canadian Gateway, our Canada immigration services, or other related services available.