Canada intends to accept up to 1,000 international students and graduates (of PhD’s) annually as permanent residents through the Federal Skilled Worker program. The number of applications received is reset annually; therefore, we encourage applicants to apply as soon as they qualify under this program.
International students who graduated from a Canadian post-secondary education institution are embraced by Canada. This is because with the Canadian education earned, the international students are almost sure to land a job in 6 months. This means that they are equipped to financially support themselves. They have also shown that they have adapted to the Canadian lifestyle, will be successful in living in Canada, and can immediately contribute to the economy.
Qualifications for International Students (PhD graduates or current PhD students):
The international student, must meet one of the following sets of requirements:
Requirement Set 1:
- Be enrolled in a PhD program at a post-secondary educational institution in Canada recognized by the province or territory ;
- Have completed at least two years of study towards a PhD;
- Be in good academic standing at application time;
- Did not receive an award requiring a return to one’s home country to apply his knowledge and skills.
Requirement Set 2
- Graduated from a PhD program at a post-secondary educational institution in Canada recognized by the province or territory;
- Applied for this program within 12 months of graduation;
- Did not receive an award which requires a return to one’s home country to apply his knowledge and skills (or did, but have satisfied the terms of the award).
***If you are an international student and do not meet the criteria for this program, you may qualify for other international student programs under the Canadian Experience Class or Provincial Nominee Program categories.***
If you are not an international student, you may also qualify under other Canada immigration categories. Please feel free to contact us by email, phone, or Great Canadian Gateway’s online messaging system. We would love to help open the gateway of Canada for you.